Neuronode – AAC Speech and Communication Device for Speech Loss and paralysis
NeuroNode is the world’s first wearable EMG assistive technology device. Alternative and augmentative communication is simple and intuitive, with no eye tracking or recalibrating.
NeuroNode gives those with ALS/MND, spinal muscular atrophy, cerebral palsy, spinal injury or any other condition causing paralysis and loss of speech a connection to the world. This AAC device is compatible with all computers, tablets and mobile devices. For more detailed information you can view our product offering here.
- Bluetooth wireless connection
- Medical-grade, small, wireless sensor attaches directly to your skin
- Connects to any computer, iPad, tablet, or mobile device
- Compatible with iOS10, Android, and Windows operating systems
- Compatible with most popular assistive scanning software such as Apple Switch Control and Google Switch Access
- Easy for caregivers to setup and operate
- Reliable operation once calibrated
- Fast for users to learn and control – begin using it within 30 minutes and quickly become proficient
- Low user fatigue to operate
- Adjustable sensitivity according to individual user and fatigue levels
- Not affected by changes in lighting conditions
- Can be used with existing devices and operating systems
- Allows users to send emails, play games, access social media, text message, watch and download online entertainment, and even operate external devices.
WHAT IS THE NEURONODE?
NeuroNode is a non-invasive, wireless speech and communication device for those with speech loss and paralysis.
The NeuroNode wireless sensor is placed on the skin over the muscle chosen to be the switch. When you attempt to move that muscle, the NeuroNode detects your bioelectrical (EMG) signals, even if there is no visible muscle movement, and uses these signals to allow you to control your computer, tablet, or cellular device.
NeuroNode is a revolutionary AAC device for those with ALS/MND, spinal muscular atrophy, cerebral palsy, spinal injury or other conditions causing paralysis and loss of speech. Compatible with most popular devices and operating systems, NeuroNode allows users to reconnect to the world and find their voice again.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THE NEURONODE?
NeuroNode allows alternative communication and control in order for clients to…
- Communicate with family,friends,caregivers and clinicians
- Send and receive text and email messages
- Browse the web,watch videos and movies
- Listen to music, radio, and podcasts
- Read the news
- Use environmental control systems
- Explore the world using AT and telepresence robots
- Control external devices
HOW DOES IT WORK?
The NeuroNode uses the body’s EMG signals (the nerve signals sent from the brain to a muscle) as a switch to control a scanning keyboard on a computer, tablet, or mobile device. Most importantly it is:
- Easy to learn
- Completely wireless
- Supported 24/7/365
WHAT IS EMG TECHNOLOGY?
EMG, or “electromyography,” is the measurement of electrical activity associated with the activation of a muscle group as detected by non-invasive electrodes on the surface of the skin. EMG signals have been used in clinical and research settings since the 1980s for things like diagnosis of neuromuscular diseases, rehabilitation, and controlling prosthetic devices.
We have spent more than 11 years developing EMG technology as a communications channel for people with severe paralysis. EMG technology is most promising because it taps directly into the available controllable signals being sent from the brain to muscles, even if they are not detectable physically. The NeuroNode can detect and amplify the faintest EMG signals allowing for alternative communication and control. It also adapts to their body’s changes over time, requiring no manual recalibration, so the user can continue to use it even as the condition progresses.
WHY CHOOSE THE NEURONODE?
Speech and communication without eye tracking or recalibrating!
While a direct selection AAC device such as an eye tracking system might at first seem preferable to a scanning device, many people with conditions like ALS find the NeuroNode is less tiring and more reliable as their condition changes over time. Even if the user requires a ventilator, the NeuroNode continues working. This means families and healthcare systems only have to purchase one AAC device for long-term use.
- Less tiring
- Reliable operation
- Does not require a user to be looking at the screen to operate
- Requires no manual recalibration
- Users can choose the device and operating system of their choice
- Completely wireless
FINANCE AND FUNDING OPTIONS
We are excited to announce Medicare funding for the NeuroNode System! We understand that this process can seem overwhelming and confusing for family members and clinicians, and our team is here to help you navigate this process. Head over to our funding page for more information and helpful resources, including our funding package and AAC evaluation template for clinicians.
The NeuroNode has also been fully funded for Veterans under the care of the Veterans Health Administration following an assistive technology assessment with a qualified VA clinician.
Contact us or visit our funding page for more information.
* These fields are required.